Potter Elementary Tampa, Florida

Exterior Walkway after renovation complete

Exterior Walkway after renovation complete

Students after renovation complete

Students after renovation complete

Students after renovation complete

Students after renovation complete

Entry

Entry

1d5a363b5bd7952c3fa591f796c87689

1d5a363b5bd7952c3fa591f796c87689

Before

Before

After

After

Computer lab

Computer lab

interior Classroom

interior Classroom

Interior Classroom

Interior Classroom

Site Plan

Site Plan

Overall Floor Plan

Overall Floor Plan

Section

Section

Study Model View Media Center

Study Model View Media Center

Study Model View Media Center Entrance

Study Model View Media Center Entrance

Study Model View

Study Model View

Study Model View

Study Model View

Study Model View Walkway

Study Model View Walkway

Client: Hillsborough County School District

Location: 3224 E. Cayuga Street

Site: An existing 1950’s finger plan elementary school in East Tampa with mature oak trees.

Program Challenge: To increase the size and capacity of the school with new construction to include a 19,000 square foot program with 12 classrooms and a media center with support spaces while updating and renovating the systems of the existing buildings, including campus wide code updates.

Solution: To accommodate the large expansion needed at Potter Elementary, Rowe Architects created a clear, contextual response. The original building was designed with a clean and logical finger plan layout that was echoed throughout the addition. The media center was designed in an L-shape to create an outdoor courtyard around an existing grand oak. The courtyard – a private and safe location for outdoor recreation and educational activities – also created a meaningful space that serves as an informal meeting place for students, classes, faculty and administrators. Other original architectural features, like the strong entry elements of the administration building, were also honored in the addition, creating coherence throughout the campus.

The project, which was completed in 2004, also included renovation of the original 29,000 square foot school, including classrooms, the cafeteria, and administration spaces. In addition to cosmetic upgrades, life safety and accessibility code updates were also implemented.